The Right Math at the Right Time (RM @ RT) Task Force was created to strengthen the implementation of mathematics pathways at two-year and four-year postsecondary institutions in Michigan as a strategy to help promote student success and credential completion. During the remainder of 2016, the task force—representing two- and four-year public institutions across the state as well as their associations—will:
- Recommend appropriate mathematics pathways tailored to the educational goals of Michigan students.
- Establish a process to align math learning outcomes across institutions and sectors in order to improve transfer for students within Michigan.
- Promote the implementation across Michigan colleges and universities of research-based approaches to support the success of underprepared students.
In October 2016, the RM @ RT Task Force published its report -- The Right Math at the Right Time: Addressing Mathematics Challenges Facing Michigan Colleges and Universitiesview full resourceDownloadFile -- which identified three strategies, alongside discussion points and recommendations, to improve math course success and postsecondary transfer and completion rates for Michigan students. These three strategies include:
- Strategy 1: Establish a process to align learning outcomes for a set of introductory college level mathematics pathway courses across institutions and sectors.
- Strategy 2: Support program faculty and administrators within community colleges and universities in adopting appropriate mathematics pathway courses aligned with students’ educational goals and programs of study.
- Strategy 3: Promote the widespread implementation of evidence-based approaches to increase the number of underprepared students who succeed in mathematics pathway courses.