The Missouri Math Pathways Task Force (MMPT) was charged to explore options and make recommendations that would significantly increase the percentage of students completing degree programs and student success rates in gateway mathematics courses without compromising the integrity of mathematics instruction. Also, the task force considered the effectiveness of college algebra and other entry-level college courses to evaluate how seamlessly existing mathematics courses transfer between institutions.
Through faculty-driven discussions from math faculty at all public institutions, MMPT issued its task force report, Report of the Missouri Mathematics Pathways Task Force on Building Math Pathways into Programs of Study, in June 2015view full resourceDownloadFile.
- Recommendation 1.1: Revise the CBHE [Coordinating Board of Higher Education] policy regarding prerequisite courses for entry-level general education mathematics courses so that the prerequisite course for each college-level course is appropriate.
- Recommendation 1.2: Establish statewide articulation agreements (while respecting the autonomy of each institution) for the alternative pathway mathematics courses that meet the general education mathematics requirements and their prerequisite courses.
- Recommendation 2.1: Institutions should align the process of placing students in credit-bearing courses with alternative pathway courses.
- Recommendation 2.2: The K–12 and higher education sectors should collaborate to align high school mathematics courses with entry college-level mathematics courses.
- Recommendation 2.3: Create college-level mathematics courses that serve as alternatives to the College Algebra course and that are aligned to targeted programs of study.
- Recommendation 2.4: Identify prerequisites for alternative college-level mathematics courses that are aligned to targeted programs of study.
- Recommendation 3.1: Hold a second Mathematics Summit to disseminate information and policy recommendations regarding the work of the MMPT.
- Recommendation 3.2: Develop a process for the collection and analysis of data regarding the success of alternative courses.
Timeline of Activity:
- Finalize student learning outcomes for multiple math pathways (Contemporary Math/Quantitative Reasoning, PreCalculus A, PreCalculus B, Statistical Reasoning, Elementary Education) (Early Spring 2017)
- Planning for Institutional Scaling: ongoing thru February 2017